Art, high energy parade festivities, and an exciting lucky raffle draw – we sure did kick the year off with a bang! Our very first Get Lucky Art Show was a tremendous success. Over 300 people came through to see the show, where we had 140 pieces of art on display from 35 local artists (meet the artists and read all their bios here). The unique and diverse range in creativity blew everyone away – red envelopes were drawn or painted on, cut, collaged, and even knitted.
Guests were treated to a private lion dance, as we were blessed with a special detour from the parade route into the exhibition space to bring us extra luck (prayer hands to Mah Benevolent Society of Vancouver.) And it isn’t a party without a table full of eats – gracing our snack spread were delicious bites courtesy of The Uncommon Café, refreshments from Milano Coffee Roasters and Yangjing Beer, and a selection of our favourite lucky candies for good measure. We’re so overwhelmed with the positive feedback from guests and artists alike, that we’re already thinking about how to make it even better next year!
Photos by: Eric Tuason | Video by: Steve Tan
We loved all your posts on social – your experience makes our experience. We put together a fun little highlights reel of your #getluckyartshow posts.
Did you get lucky?
Our Get Lucky Raffle featured over 30 amazing prizes from local businesses in and around Chinatown. These also happen to be some of our go-to spots to eat/drink/shop at in the neighbourhood, which made it that much more exciting for us. Thank you so much to our prize sponsors for letting us spread the love.
Here’s the list of lucky winners:
- Ai & Om Knives workshop: Gloria T.
- Beta5 chocolates: Kelly L.
- Blim & Vancity Original t-shirts: Oriel G.
- Bodega on Main gift certificate: Brian L.
- Burdock & Co gift certificate: Steve T.
- Chambar gift certificate: Monica L.
- Ch’INK-san Tattoo: Mark D. & Tarun N.
- Cityside Winery tasting experience: Shay P.
- Dalina gift card: Michael G.
- El Kartel gift certificate: Jill M.
- Fat Mao Noodles: David G.
- Fresh Ideas Start Here gift card: Brandon M.
- Fresh Ideas Start Here gift basket: Stephanie H.
- Harvest Community Foods CSA: Mike C.
- Harvest Community Foods lunch: Josh P.
- Juke Fried Chicken gift card: Jen S.
- Kirin Restaurant: Edmond T.
- Lisa Lou’s Chocolate Bar: Bella S.
- Luppolo Brewing: Olivier L.
- MakerLabs: Chris H.
- Pacific Poke: Chris T.
- Pidgin Restaurant gift card: Marlene D.
- Sai Woo Restaurant gift card: Beverly L.
- Save On Meats Greasy Spoon Diner tickets: Vienne
- Strange Fellows Brewing: David W.
- The Emerald Supper Club gift certificate: Melody M.
- The Good Spirit tarot readings: Lorraine L. & Juan L.
- The Keefer Bar gift certificate: Jacqueline L.
- The Pie Shoppe gift certificates (door prize): Sean C. & Madeline H.
Thank you, thank you.
We would not be able to put this on without the support of our sponsors. Big ups to Fortune Sound Club for hosting us in their Projects Space, hua foundation for helping with supplies and greeting guests at the door, Blast Media Inc. and PrintPrint.ca for signage and printing, and our volunteer squad for jumping in to get things done. It really does take a village, and we are so grateful.
Get on our email list.
If you’re interested in future events, make sure you’re on our email list – we will always release tickets and sneak peeks to our readers first. Happy new year, everyone!